6.25.2014

So It Begins







Walking under the blazing sun and coming up to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum was not something I anticipated as I woke up this morning.  Maybe because I wasn't mentally nor emotionally prepared to take on such a chilling visit, maybe it was the heat and dehydration, or maybe just the simple fact that this was a lot to take in.

It is my third day in this country.  My third day walking down moto-packed streets, communicating through smiles and hand gestures, taking in every site and scent that comes my way (voluntarily or not).  And it was on my third day I was struck with the this country's past right in front of me.

The cells, shackles, and skulls all stood before me.  I saw hundreds of prisoner portraits who were meticulously numbered, seated, and photographed all the same.

A high school became a prison.  Exercise equipment became torture devices.  And to think all of this happened only a few decades ago.