7.22.2014

Cheers



Four weeks and two days.  That is how long I have been here and that is how long I have been the happiest, maybe the happiest I have ever been.  It is this job.  This job is just great.  Actually, great is not a strong enough adjective to explain it.  No adjective is strong enough to explain it.  A few months ago I would have never expected to be living in Cambodia, and I would have never expected to be doing work that I love as much as this.

In class I was teaching descriptive words.  Intelligent, beautiful, independent, etc.  The board wasn't full so I asked every girl to shout out some words they would use to describe themselves.  That board filled up in no time as hands shot up and voices called out.  "Fabulous, lovely, kind, clever," and they just kept coming.

I assigned every girl to write five sentences describing themselves.  These sentences had to start with "I know I am...".  Silence came over us as everyone quickly scribbled down in excitement, only calling out to ask for spelling help.  We all sat around the table, papers in hand.  Each girl read their sentences aloud to the class, but they did not just read them.  Each girl sat up straight, head up, and shouted their sentences.

By the second sentence their voices would start to fade.  "Louder," I said, "Let the whole world hear you!"  And louder they would read.  Louder they would yell.  Louder and louder and louder.  Every girl was yelling their sentences, just five of the many things they know they are.  "I know I am a good friend.  I know I am kind.  I know I am beautiful.  I know I am intelligent.  I know I am strong!"  Every one of these girls is beautiful, and every one of them is stronger than they will ever know.  With every word and every sentence was all and nothing but the truth.  I know it, and these girls know it.  They know they are beautiful, intelligent, and strong amongst many wonderful things.  They know they are everything and it is time for the world to know.

After each girl had her turn I did not even have to say a single word.  Each girl in that room clapped, cheered, and roared with happiness.  Laughter came out, hands came together, and the girls jumped out of their seats with joy.  They cheered for one another and they cheered for themselves.  I know they are everything they said that day.  Everyday they should yell it for the world to hear them loud and clear.  Here's to that perfect day, here's to the girls cheering for each other, cheering for themselves - beauty, brains, and all.