8.03.2014

These Days





These days have been filled with a lot of realizations and reflections.  I used to complain if I didn't have enough leg room in our mini van for a family of four.  Here, people pile their families of four (or more) onto moto bikes, and even commute with their children riding on bicycle handle bars, or book racks for a seat.  I used to not finish my dinner if I didn't like all the vegetables.  Here, kids will eat anything because they are so grateful to have food, and may even go through trash to do so.  I used to get new clothes every year even if my old clothes still fit me.  Here, some kids do not even wear clothes, and many babies do not wear diapers.

The complaining I did back home cannot even be vocalized here.  Seeing the lives of Third World residents is nothing compared to back home.  Of course there are many people in America that are struggling to survive, but one third of Cambodia's population lives on $1 a day.  I'm pretty sure a pack of gum in America is now over one dollar...